ABOUT Ticketing Company
Ticketing Company is the world’s largest ticket marketplace with tickets available for over 10 million live sports, music and theatre events in more than 40 countries. Owned by Parent Company, Ticketing Company continues to lead the ticket marketplace through innovation. Some company firsts: the introduction of the ticketing application, interactive seat mapping, 360 degree virtual views of seating, price recommendation technology and an algorithm that determines the best value on tickets.
Ticketing Company was looking for an easier and more consistent way to develop tests while simultaneously giving developers a greater stake in testing. In the process of developing a new product, they needed to develop a new testing strategy. The primary requirements for this strategy were fast development, ease of use, the ability to test business use cases, end to end flow and strong technical support from the provider. While building an internal solution was an option, committing the time and resources to developing one was not an ideal path. Furthermore, ease of use was a high priority requirement as users would cover a broad spectrum of technical ability.
THE RIGHT FIT
Ticketing Company explored a number of potential solutions. At one point, they even considered producing a solution internally. A requirement of whatever solution they chose was the simplicity of integration with their current CI/CD(Continuous Integration/Continous Deployment) pipeline. They also required something with a high degree of ease of use and the ability to stand up meaningful tests quickly.
“[We wanted] to have an agile approach to testing APIs.” – QA Engineer, Ticketing Company
Simplicity without compromise is a core value for API Fortress. The graphical user interface allows engineers and non-engineers to stand up powerful functional tests quickly. The platform generated the framework of the tests for Ticketing Company, saving them hours in writing simple assertions. Their team was then able to leverage the library of components to add nuance and intelligence to the tests. API Fortress’ externally facing API allows clients to integrate it seamlessly into their CI/CD pipeline. By allowing the execution of tests remotely and providing their results as either JSON or XML, API Fortress makes it easy to integrate with your workflow in Jenkins, Bamboo, CircleCI, or the platform of your choice.
Early on in the process, Ticketing Company discovered that they were having issues with schema compliance in their database layer. The integration tests that they had written were consistently missing the lack of compliance. API Fortress picked up the error on the first pass.
“[API Fortress] tests were more reliable than the integration tests written in code.” – QA Engineer, Ticketing Company
API Fortress changed the team’s view on testing on a deep level. The platform introduced them to a consumer-driven approach to API development and testing. Allowing the UI team to help define the payloads before implementing the APIs created a greater sense of collaboration amongst the development team and shortened the development cycle by eliminated a great deal of the back-and-forth discussion. Combined with the reduced level of test data-dependency and the introduction of reusable code snippets, API Fortress allowed the team to save a great deal of time in developing their suite of tests.
API Fortress’ ability to quickly switch between environments allowed the team to run tests against development, staging and live, ensuring consistency in performance. With API Fortress integrated into their CI/CD pipeline, the team receives immediate feedback any time there is an issue. This consumer driven approach to defining payloads with API Fortress as a contract keeper has allowed developers to take more ownership over their API testing.
- Create a platform to automate their API endpoint testing.
- Provide a set of viewable metrics regarding API uptime, performance, and reliability.
- Develop a testing framework that integrates seamlessly throughout the development lifecycle.
- Find a solution that allows non-developers to be as capable as developers in test creation.
- Maintain strong ease-of-use without compromising future use cases.
- Generate tests from a payload, Swagger/OAI, RAML, or Postman Collections.
- Powerful yet intuitive interface for test creation
- Precise test scheduling for monitoring.
- Integrates with any CI/CD process.
- Detailed uptime monitoring reporting.
- Integrates with almost any notification and data platform.
- Ensures consistent response data from API routes.
- Measures fetch and latency over time, generating viewable trends.
- Constant uptime monitoring through test scheduling and automation.
- Powerful dashboard for analysis of test results.
- A status page to allow API testing data in one viewfield for analysis.